Wednesday, May 27, 2020

FINDING ONLINE CREATIVE INSPIRATION DURING COVID 19

Hello Makers!  I have been home since March 13, 2020, when my school sent students home and closed its doors in order to hunker down, stay safe and wait out the worst.  I feel most fortunate because I have been able to work/teach from home, though teaching music to elementary students from behind a computer screen is really counter-intuitive to my training.  But again, I can't complain.  I haven't been laid off, I teach from my "office" (sewing room) and I finally found my groove.  The first few weeks I was not feeling inspired to sew.  I stated in my previous post that instead of creating, I cleaned, purged and organized.  It felt cathartic and in some way made me feel like I had some control over my life.   Now, that things are slowing down, I feel like I am settling into a new routine of teaching on line, holding online tutorials for students, answering emails, google meet meetings, and leaving the house only when absolutely necessary, wearing a hand crafted mask so I feel "pretty" and disinfecting any and everything that crosses my doorstep.   How about you?  What is your new routine?  Let me know in the comments.  

With the extra time I have at home in addition to finally beginning to sew again, I have also been binge watching all of the tutorials from my favorite Creators such as Vanessa Vargas Wilson of Crafty Gemini, and Sara Lawson from Sew Sweetness.  Some of them are free to everyone, while others are tutorials that I purchased through their clubs and/or bundles.  I don't know about you but when I watch a tutorial it inspires me to get to work and create.  

In a past post entitled "Online Learning for Busy Sewists, Bag Makers and Quilters",  I created a list of YouTube Makers and websites that inspire and teach.    Since I have been working from home,  I have been lucky to find a few more inspiring creators and I want to share them with you so you may find the same inspiration and joy.  

Here is my list:

Sewspire - Youtube
Jean Truelove - Youtube
Karen Brown of Just Get it Done Quilts - YouTube
SewYeah - YouTube
Jess Oklaroots - YouTube

All of these makers have beautiful tutorials on YouTube that are FREE!  However, Sewspire and Jean Truelove are members of an on-line community called Patreon.  This is a community of makers and artisans who share their medium, sometimes for free on Youtube, but for a nominal monthly pledge you can get so much more.  For instance, I am a Patron of Sewspire and Jean Truelove.  The pledges range between $1 - $100 per month depending on the amount of extra perks you desire.  I fall pretty much in the $5-10 range, but I am getting so much in return.  Extra tutorials, special sew alongs and patterns.  It's really a gift I am giving to myself while also supporting woman owned businesses.  

Let me tell you more about these lovely women.



Sewspire Planner Caddy Organizer
Sewspire Planner Caddy Organizer inside view
















Andrea Chapman is the beauty behind Sewspire.  She lives and teaches from her studio in Virginia.  Since being home and, quite honestly falling into a bit of a depression, I decided surf the internet for more ways to be creative with sewing.  Andrea was exactly what I needed to gently remind myself to take care of me and find joy in something every day.  Her teaching style is calming, step by step and she develops her creations right in front of you.  You can sew along with her or watch and sew along the second time.  She has refreshing ideas and I really love her way of constructing bags which, for me, needs to be dummy proof.  Listen to her talk and tell me what you think in the comments.  I just love listening and learning from her.  


The second lovely lady is Jean Truelove.  Teaching and filming from her studio in her home in Pennsylvania, she is the definition of exuberant and I adore her.  One of Jean's sons told her she needed to record her creations and make a Youtube chanel.  She really didn't take him seriously so one day he walked into her studio and began recording her whilst asking her what she was doing step by step.  30 minutes later he said "you have a youtube chanel mom.  Get to work."  That beginning totally fits her personality.  I've never met her but I know she is one of those people who jump in feet first and just start swimming.  I love her zaniness and energy.  She makes some beautiful quilts and recently started making bags.  While she admits bags are not her thing She has some pretty great design and construction ideas.  And I love her art quilts and beautiful quilt blocks.  My new favorite is her appliqué heart wall hanging.  Absolutely gorgeous and she takes you step by step in her design method and construction.  She talks a lot... she admits this so I 'm not spreading nasty gossip.  However, I find her to be so enjoyable.  It's like sitting with a friend you've known forever and just getting caught up.  She really lets you into her life.  She has 10... Yes T E N children!  Alright?  She's an angel in my book.  Her youngest, Maxwell, is 20 and lives at home.  He's autistic and the light of the family's eye.  He sometimes appears in her videos along side her amazing husband, Ian.  I feel like I'm part of the Truelove family!  Anyway, I became a patron of hers as well because I wanted to be included in her extra videos and tutorials as well.  She calls it her "tip jar".  If you like it, leave a tip!  You can't go wrong.  Recently I found one of her free tutorials on creating a 5 piece of fabric block in three seams!!!  OMG  It's gorgeous.  Look it up.  

The third YouTube teacher that I quite enjoy is Karen Brown from Just Get It Done Quilts.  She lives, works and teaches from Canada.  Her tips and tricks are spot on and recently I made a quilt in one day from her Comfort Quilt using "ugly" fabrics. 


"Ugly Fabric" Comfort Quilt, waiting to be sandwiched and quilted
 I just wanted to complete something!  And this scratched the itch.  Recently she posted a video on flying geese.  So many different things to learn about flying geese.  She has several ways of constructing them and teaches you how to measure them too.  Lots of math.  She's a quilt math wizard!  She's practical, down to earth, creative, warm and very talented!  Please take a moment to look at her helpful tutorials and videos.  Her tips will also help you save money!  That means more for fabric.

Speaking of money for fabric... have you watched the brothers of Sew Yeah?  They all quilt!  Their Brick and Mortar store is in Las Vegas however when COVID hit the country all of their inventory became last week news as new inventory began to arrive.  What to do?  Well, they took to YouTube and began their Saturday Night Fabric Destash.  It's like a Fabric party on Youtube.  They're all really fun, and it's family friendly.  Recently, to help out a cousin and his wife who were laid off due to COVID, they offered to sell some of the couples' handcrafted goat soap.  The quilters loved it (I bought 4 bars myself and they're awesome) and now that's part of their offering as well.  The Destash has done really well.  So well that their following asked for new stuff  in addition to destash.  So they added Tuesday Night NewStash!  That's a lot of Stash!

How many of you just love to read the pattern and then read it again while you are crafting your item?  A few?  NOT ME!  I'm a musician... who is a visual learner!  I want to see someone make it in front of me.  That's how I know it can be done.  When I read a pattern it's like reading sand script.  So I am very happy when I find a super smart and creative person who is gracious and kind enough to make a video of popular patterns for YouTube.  Jess Oklaroots is that person!  She provides video tutorials for several patterns from popular pattern makers such as BagstockDesignsEmmaline Bags and Swoon Patterns.  She's organized in her teaching, detailed oriented and always throws in a tip to make things even easier.  I like easier!  If you look at her video playlists you will also find a section for beginner bag makers.  Not that I need it... I mean, sometimes I look at it... but, I'm not a beginner.  Okay, I feel like one every time I begin a bag!  

So, I hope my list of makers inspires you to take a peek and see that life is happening all over the country.  Let's support them by liking their videos, become a patron or thumbs up.  This is the time to lift each other up and keep moving to the beat of a new day!

Stay Calm, Stay Safe and Sew On!

6 comments:

  1. Lots of new instructors for me to try! Thank you.
    Lottie @ Twisted Stitchers

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was super Nancy... very inspiring and the info on the new makers just got me energized and ready to learn new things... Love you girl <3

    Diana Rose @ twisted Stitchers

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love watching videos too.
    can’t wait to see u again at next retreat
    Ruby

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will check these out! Thanks so much!
    Wendy Martin @twistedstitchers

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nancy, your work is beautiful, creative, and inspiring! Love your blog! ❤️. Sew many projects, so little time. I love YouTube. Thanks for sharing other creative makers and I have been following most of them for awhile now, except for Sew Yeah. I just subscribed to them. ❤️ you!
    Debbie Hobson-Sheppard @ Twisted Stitchers

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great blog. In addition to Karen Brown, I also enjoy the creativity of Caroline at SewCanShe. Since retiring in late '18, I've joined a few guilds, bought a Juki serger, and started sewing hospice gowns between making quilts.

    Karen Richardson

    ReplyDelete

QUICK AND HELPFUL READS and MORE ONLINE LEARNING OPPORTUNITIES FOR SEWISTS, QUILTERS AND FABRIC CRAFTERS

Hello fabric Divas and Divos!  I just finished reading a wonderful article on how Tension affects the outcome of a stitch and thought to mys...