Friday, May 29, 2020

QUICK AND HELPFUL READS and MORE ONLINE LEARNING OPPORTUNITIES FOR SEWISTS, QUILTERS AND FABRIC CRAFTERS

Hello fabric Divas and Divos!  I just finished reading a wonderful article on how Tension affects the outcome of a stitch and thought to myself "Self..." because, that's how I do it... "Self, many of your friends and VKG followers would probably like this article."  And knowing how busy people are, myself included, who has time to look these things up?  I don't either... but since I've been teaching from home due to COVID 19 I have more time to get nerdy and research quick reads for busy sewists.  I promise you.  These are not essays.  Nobody wants to spend more time reading about sewing than actually sewing itself.  

I couldn't possibly list all of the articles that you might need or just want to read for your personal pleasure, interests or immediate need, so instead, I am listing links for places that have a plethora of articles from which to choose from.  Click on the link I provided to take you directly to the page you need to be on for good reads.

Superior Threads  Who doesn't like Superior Threads?  It's a Pillar in the quilt world and rightly so.  Yes, there are many other brands that CAN hold a candle to Superior but it's the perfect go to.  They have a YouTube chanel as well but their articles cover subjects in great depth and are very easy to find and helpful.  If you click on "Superior Threads" it will take you directly to their education page. There you will find more articles than you ever thought existed about thread, sewing, tension... It's so wonderful!

Aurifil Philosophy  Quilters Love, Love, Love Aurifil.  I love it for piecing because the two ply is just as strong as three ply but the thin strand makes me feel like there is less bulk.  I could be wrong and it's probably in my head... but the term "less bulk" to a quilter is like saying "would you like more fudge on your ice cream?"  YES!  The site I am sending you to will go directly to the designers associated with Aurifil, but if you click on "Auriworld" you will discover a lot more.  Free patterns, a blog, artisans.  The designer page is easy to navigate.  Simply click on the designer and poof, you go directly to their page and look at their information, posts and possibly freebies.  Voile.

The Quilting Hub  I just stumbled across this great site when I googled "what to pack for a retreat".  Many short articles about everything you might need to know in a pinch.  Including ideas for quilt guild activites to do remotely during Social Distancing.  

Quilting Daily  Again, looking for a short answer I stumbled upon this gem.  If you click on "topics" you'll get a pull down box and from there you can go to the topic that interests you.  In addition, there are links to podcasts, a blog, patterns and competitions.  I noticed that the topics are project driven and full of wonderful ideas and help along the way.  

Connecting Thread  Another Lovely thread line, extremely affordable AND they design and mill their own fabric lines.  This is how they keep the costs down and their designers are people you probably know and love.  The area of the site I am sending you to is Learn:  Tutorials, Guides and Inspiration.  Definitely worth a look.  The tutorials are free and they have a "community" in which to share your creations and be inspired by others too.  Give their thread and fabric a look while there.  They are beautiful!!!

There are many more and I will be happy to create a "Part 2" to this posting and... I bet you want to get started.  So before I end I'll leave one last link.  The article that got all of this started:

How does tension affect the outcome of a stitch?

And with this I bid you Adieu to you and you and you.  

Until next time, stay calm and sew on.


9 comments:

  1. Thanks for the suggestions. I will definitely check them out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the're helpful. I'm not sure people have time at the computer like I do to find things so I try to make a list and publish it just in case.

      Delete
  2. Can’t wait to try the links out
    Ruby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feel free to share other things that you find as well. I know we all appreciate it.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the info Nancy. Believe my favorite is Superior Threads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. which Superior Thread is your favorite. They have so many and for so many types of sewing. I do a lot of thread painting but have never tried them for that.

      Delete
  4. I enjoyed reading your blog post. My machine isn't as fussy as some when it comes to thread, Good quality thread and a nice stitch is important. We appreciate you on Twisted Stitchers! Keep the posts coming!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for all your help and all the information it is really great to read and learn new information.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anytime. I love researching. It was my favorite thing to do in College! LOL

    ReplyDelete

QUICK AND HELPFUL READS and MORE ONLINE LEARNING OPPORTUNITIES FOR SEWISTS, QUILTERS AND FABRIC CRAFTERS

Hello fabric Divas and Divos!  I just finished reading a wonderful article on how Tension affects the outcome of a stitch and thought to mys...