Friday, March 1, 2019

INSPIRATION



Inspiration

Merriam-Webster's definitation states:

Inspiration:


1a: a divine influence or action on a person believed to qualify him or her to receive and communicate sacred revelation 
b: the action or power of moving the intellect or emotions

c: the act of influencing or suggesting opinions

I found that the history of the word made more sense than the definition. Merriam-Webster goes on to state:

"The Inspirational History of Inspiration"


"Inspiration has an unusual history in that its figurative sense appears to predate its literal one. It comes from the Latin inspiratus (the past participle of inspirare, “to breathe into, inspire”) and in English has had the meaning “the drawing of air into the lungs” since the middle of the 16th century. This breathing sense is still in common use among doctors, as is expiration (“the act or process of releasing air from the lungs”). However, before inspiration was used to refer to breath it had a distinctly theological meaning in English, referring to a divine influence upon a person, from a divine entity; this sense dates back to the early 14th century. The sense of inspiration often found today (“someone or something that inspires”) is considerably newer than either of these two senses, dating from the 19th century."
We, Fabric artists, quilters, bag makers, small project creators, all have the same thing in common. A desire to create something of beauty and worth. In order to do this, not once, but over and over again, we must be inspired.

The history of Inspiration is, for me, very close to what I feel when I am struck with an idea. I feel the breath of inspiration when I am witnessing beauty in its many forms.  A live performance, be it music, dance, a play; the reading a poem, prose or a story; witnessing a life changing event.  All of these things can be the spark that ignites Inspiration.  

Some of us only need an event to move us forward.  The birth of a grandchild, the graduation of a niece or nephew, an upcoming trip, to inspire us to begin the process of creating in order to meet a need.  Others, the rising of the sun, or the quiet of winter's first snowfall.  

I am not an artist.  But, I am an artist.  I am a musician.  Classically trained.  What I find ironic is I am a Visual Learner.  Most would think a musician would learn differently than visually and I'm not sure why I am wired this way.  I do know that I have a tremendous desire to recreate what my heart sees.  Because of this I seek out ways to turn my visions into something tangible.  I take classes, go to museums, read stories, browse through fibre art publications, and contemplate.  I contemplate my stash, threads, embellishments and think through all of the things I could create.  Eventually, I gather the courage to start a project, all the while doubting my own abilities.  And doubt is our enemy.  So, this year and for as far into the future as I am granted to be here I promise myself and encourage you also to never, ever doubt your ability to create beauty.  Look around.  The inspiration is everywhere.

I once saw a painting in a Goodwill that sparked my interest and I plan on turning it into a raw edge quilt someday:



It's such a simple painting but it sparked joy because I loved the colors, the yellow flowers and orange wallpaper looked so cheerful.  I want to recreate this using the medium I am familiar and comfortable with.  

Here is a list of teachers, YouTube Chanels and publications that keep the embers of inspiration glowing:

Stitches by Julia - She began sewing and crafting 26 years ago.  She uses her sewing machine to create one of a kind wall hangings, journals, bags, and refashions clothing.  I love her aesthetic and she very generously shares her ideas and her inspiration.

A Fate So Twisted - The creator of this chanel is a wonderful artist, and a creative and passionate maker.  She recently began to make longer tutorials of her projects and I am really inspired by her story.

Joyce Hughes Originals - I consider Joyce Hughes to be a mentor.  I have taken her classes and not only are her creations works of art, she is one of the most sincere and amazing people I have ever met.  If you have an opportunity to meet her and listen to her story at a trunk show, run do not walk!!!

Art Quilting Studio


Sew Sommerset Magazine


Stampington & Company 


No comments:

Post a Comment

QUICK AND HELPFUL READS and MORE ONLINE LEARNING OPPORTUNITIES FOR SEWISTS, QUILTERS AND FABRIC CRAFTERS

Hello fabric Divas and Divos!  I just finished reading a wonderful article on how Tension affects the outcome of a stitch and thought to mys...