Thursday, May 18, 2017

Re-Falling in love with my Bernina: Part 3

If you have been following my journey with my love hate relationship with my Bernina I thought I would update you with some recent news. As I had posted earlier, the 750QE was one of the first Berninas to use their new hook system, have a larger bobbin (almost twice as much thread capacity as their original bobbins) and 9mm decorative stitch capacity. In addition it came with the BSR (Bernina Stitch Regulator) which operates automatically when you move your fabric around for Free Motion Quilting. When it was released it had numerous problems and for most Bernina owners it was frustrating. But for a new Bernina owner, it felt like I had made a huge financial mistake. This machine isn't cheap and I bought it because Bernina has one of the best reputations in the sewing and quilting industry. It was a huge disappointment to say the least.

After my Thread Painting Class with Joyce Hughes, Miss Fussy Pants (my Bernina 750QE) began acting up... AGAIN! This could not continue. She needed therapy! (And to be fixed up right!!!)

Well, after a lot of research and discussion with several friends, I was led Danners Bernina Shoppe in Hanover, PA. It is a traditional quilt store in every sense of the word. It is run by lovely Mennonite women who share a long history and lineage of quilting tradition. Their repair person, Dave, came highly recommended by my Juki dealer who sends all of their Bernina owners to Danners. (Yes, I own more machines. Dont all quilters?) Well, in 7 to 10 days I will have my Bernina back and hopefully our love affair will be renewed. I have a list of things that need to change. I want the Stitch quality that Bernina promises, I want the BSR to work like it did in the showroom and not take off like a rocket to the moon, and I expect the little quirks to be completey worked out. I am not asking for much. Just what Bernina promised.

I'll let you know how the story ends in about two weeks. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment

QUICK AND HELPFUL READS and MORE ONLINE LEARNING OPPORTUNITIES FOR SEWISTS, QUILTERS AND FABRIC CRAFTERS

Hello fabric Divas and Divos!  I just finished reading a wonderful article on how Tension affects the outcome of a stitch and thought to mys...