Friday, March 30, 2018

WHERE DO YOU PURCHASE FABRIC?

Its a question all quilters and fabric artists ask each other.  Why?  Well, I for one, might admire another artist's work and fabric selection, so naturally I want to know where they find their fabric.  Also, I find that when we cannot find what we want at our Local Quilt Shop (LQS) we'll go online and shop around.  Personally, I like to make sure that when I DO shop on line, that I am supporting either a brick and mortar LQS somewhere or that I am supporting a business run by a minority business owner and not a corporation.  Yes, it is wonderful to get discounts.  Let's face it, we all have to make our money stretch and being fabric lovers and quilting nuts, we all know it isn't cheap.  However, whenever I purchase from a big box or corporation, I am supporting stockholders and not a  visionary and entrepreneur with a creative spirit.  To this end I also feel that supporting any LQS also supports freedom of expression.

That's quite a statement I know, but here is the thing.  I will admit that I have supported a "daily deal" and still check out the 50% to 60% off coupons for expensive notions and embroidery stabilizers.  But when it comes to quality fabric, interesting and difficult to find patterns, cool, gotta have it notions, specialty trims and my favorite threads, I have list of favs that I always make sure to support first.  So, yes, I do use a coupon, and shop a daily deal, but not until I have exhausted my LQS, in my area and on line.  I also keep a list of shops I have visited out of State just in the off chance they might have something or know where to find it.  And just like Pinterest, Facebook and Youtube, every LQS has a unique eye for construction and design.  It's so fun to visit LQS when I travel because I am always filled with ideas!

For instance, when I was visiting my father and step mom in California last year I found an adoreable shop called QuiltnThings in Montrose, California.  That is a sweet little community in the foothills above Glendale, California.  They had a lot of vintage/modern fabrics, trims, and bag making supplies.  Nearly every kit they sold had a beautifully crafted sample on display and while I was there I saw the most beautiful fabric collage pieces and met the amazing artist, Mary Ellen Sakai.  She also teaches classes there.  If you're ever in Southern California, you won't regret a visit.  Plus, there are some really nice cafes and restaurants in the area.

So here is my list:

My Local Quilt Shop:  For fabrics and my Baby Lock Dealer is Glory Bees Sewing Center in Falston, Maryland.  They're also a Bernina and Janome dealer, which made it very easy for me to compare the three machines before deciding on my BabyLock Journey.  They carry traditional to modern fabrics and everything in between.  Glory Bees also offers quilting services and many classes and clubs as well.  Sewing, Serging and Embroidery clubs are free to those who purchased their machines there and $25.00 for everyone else, which is a bargain.  They also carry a wide selection of embroidery and sewing threads including, Robison-Anton, Signature, Maxi-lock, Wonderfil, and Aurifil.  They have patterns, trims, batting, interfacing, you name it.  Plus, the owner and staff are really nice, fun and encouraging.

When shopping on Etsy:

Etsy Shops - Dragonflyquiltworks.  Wonderful selection of modern fabric lines incuding Lotta Jansdotter, Vanessa Vargas Wilson, Carolyn Friedlander, and amazing modern blenders!  The owner Lora Douglas is also an amazing quilter and fabric artist.  Her attention to detail is unbelieveable.  She also has bag making supplies, notions and patterns.  Great prices and wonderful Customer Service.

I've also had good luck with BobbielouFabric, Needleinafabricstash and stitchstashdiva for fabrics that were not available in LQS any longer.

Also give CherylLynchQuilts a look.  She creates a line of Mosaic Fabric Patterns, has her own Curvalicious template and is a quilting instructor at Quilt Shows and for retreats.

Unique Fabric Online from the Creator:

Loralie Fabrics:  
If you are looking for something really unique and quirky, colorful and simply fun, then you have to take a look at Loralie Fabrics.  Her Fabrics make me smile from the inside out.  There are so many ways to use them.  Quilts, bags, small personal items, apron, even clothing!  Why not.

Out of State LQS:

The Confident Stitch:  In addition to Quiltnthings, I am affiliated with The Confident Stitch a LQS in Missoula, Montana.  I plan on shopping there today or tomorrow because they are having a 25% off all quilting cotton sale AND there is no sale tax in Montana!  Win Win!  Why am I affiliated with a LQS in Montana you ask?  Well, for one, they have fabric I haven't found anywhere else, on line or in person.  For instance, take a look at The Confident Stitch quilting fabric choices.  In addition to all of the top brand names The Confident Stitch  has a beautiful selection of Aboriginal prints and brands I don't see often like:

FROND Medusa Quilting Cotton in Beet Zylem & Phloem  



AMY BUTLER Forest Friends Quilting Cotton in Midnight      

and one of my new favorites

 BRANDON MABLY Baubles  

Brandon Mably is Kaffe Fasset's partner and Studio Manager, and obviously a gifted designer himself!

Another reason I shop there is the shop is an actual brick and motar LQS and is owned by a woman, (underrepresented in the business world).  The "no sales tax in Montana" is the icing on top.

Jordan Fabrics:  Matt and Donna Jordan have been handcutting fabric in the United States for over 30 years.  Their story is listed on their web site and it is fascinating... at least for quilters.  They sell hand cut log cabin quilt kits and others, have a huge selection of fabric, and have wonderful tutorials on YouTube, mentioned in another blog.  They began at the age of 18 and 19 and have stayed loyal to the business ever since.  It is truly a family business, all four of their kids are involved.  They are based in Grants Pass, Oregon and if I am not mistaken, there is no sales tax!

So, my fabric darlings, head on out to your LQS, in town, across town or find a great one on line and support our passion and artistic adventures by supporting them as well.

Happy Creating!





1 comment:

  1. Definitely agree we should support our LQS as much as possible. I am familiar with some of the people/shops you shared and plan to visit others you shared. Love your blog, keep up the good work!!!

    ReplyDelete

QUICK AND HELPFUL READS and MORE ONLINE LEARNING OPPORTUNITIES FOR SEWISTS, QUILTERS AND FABRIC CRAFTERS

Hello fabric Divas and Divos!  I just finished reading a wonderful article on how Tension affects the outcome of a stitch and thought to mys...